Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Manchester United are in continued talks with Brazilian club Sao Paulo over the transfer of Lucas Moura.
Reports linking the 19-year-old Brazilian with a move to Old Trafford have been rife over the past few weeks, with The Daily Mirror this morning suggesting that a £26 million deal had been agreed between the two clubs, with just personal terms left to be decided upon.
However Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that this is not true, but at long last definitively confirmed the club’s interest in the highly rated midfielder.
“It's not correct," the Manchester United manager told a press conference in Shanghai when approached on the issue. "We haven't reached an agreement for the player. We've shown an interest but until such a time we get a deal agreed we can't say he's our player."
Lucas, who has also gained the attention of Inter Milan and Real Madrid this summer, made a second half appearance as Brazil defeated team GB with ease in a 2-0 victory Friday evening at Middlesborough’s Riverside stadium.
Ferguson confirmed that the club are still interested in adding at least one more player to the squad, following the acquisitions of Nick Powell and Shinji Kagawa. "We've signed two players in the summer: Kagawa and Powell," he said. "We think they both have fantastic potential.
"At this moment we're looking at other options in terms of bringing other players in. We're not lying on our backsides doing nothing. We're trying hard to bring other players to the club."
Ferguson’s announcement regarding Lucas is the second time he has revealed genuine interest in a high profile player within the space of a few days, following Friday’s revelation that the club had lodged a bid for Arsenal’s Robin Van Persie.