The Prime Minister issued a “profound apology” to the families of the 96 who lost their lives in the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.
In a statement to the House of Commons after the release of the reports, which had unseen documents about what happened at the semi final on 15th April 1989, Mr Cameron said, "What happened that day and since was wrong. It is deeply distressing.”
The PM continued to say that the Liverpool fans were not to blame for the disaster as police reports initially stated that fans without tickets had got into the stadium, which then caused the tragedy that was to follow.
The Labour Leader, Ed Milliband, also joined in on the discussion as he declared, “It shames us as a country that it has taken 23 years to get the truth about what happened at Hillsborough.”
The findings say that 59 out of the 96 people who died could have, in fact, lived. 164 police statements that were made were “ significantly altered” and 116 negative comments then made by the police were removed.
Families of those who fell victim of the disaster had been campaigning for the release of the documents for 20 years prior to their release and over the last 18 months a panel had been designated to sift the 400,000 pages to find answers.
This morning, families had been starting to view the documents at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, before they were to be released to the public this afternoon.
It is not until 30 years after an incident that Cabinet papers are released to the public, but after 140,000 people signed the e-petition set up by Liverpool fan Brian Irvine, the decision was made to bring the date forward.
The victims will be hoping that the release of the documents will be able to shed more light on what happened that day and how the then Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, and her Cabinet dealt with proceedings.
In conjunction with this, the original inquest had said that all of the victims were dead by 15:15, just 15 minutes after the game had kicked off, yet Anne Williams, mother of deceased Kevin Williams, claims that he was still alive close to 16:00 and wants this investigated. She has consequently started an e-petition that has been signed by 100,000 people.
Sheffield Wednesday FC also released a statement on Wednesday morning regarding what happened 23 years ago. "Throughout the compilation stage, the club has worked closely with the panel and the other donating organisations to ensure that, in line with the ethos of maximum disclosure, we have been totally transparent. The club would like to offer our sincere condolences and an apology to all the families who have suffered as a consequence of the tragic events of 15 April 1989."
None of this will bring back the Liverpool 96, but there is hope that the families feel vindicated and have some peace at last today. However, the Hillsborough disaster does not end today and there must now be accountability for what happened.