Vettel Takes Pole As Hamilton’s Run Comes To An End

Vettel Takes Pole As Hamilton’s Run Comes To An End

Sebastian Vettel stormed to pole position in qualifying for the Italian Grand Prix at Monza, ending Lewis Hamilton’s run of four poles in a row.

Vettel was unstoppable in the second and third sessions as he bagged his fourth pole position of the season.

Hamilton struggled around the fast paced circuit and could only manage 12th on the grid, one behind Vettel’s nearest championship rival Kimi Raikkonen.

Mark Webber made it a Red Bull one-two at the front of the grid and there was a major surprise for third as Sauber’s Nico Hulkenberg put in a brilliant lap to slot in behind the two Red Bull’s.

Hamilton’s failure to qualify for the final session was the first in 67 races and the British driver only had himself to blame.

"I drove like an idiot," Hamilton told BBC Sport.

"It's the worst I've driven for a long, long time. I'm just sorry for the team."

There was another surprise at Monza with the home team Ferrari seeing a switch in driver pace – Felipe Massa qualifying ahead of Fernando Alonso, who complained to his team about qualifying strategy.

Vettel is in prime position to extend his lead at the top of the standings as he hopes to complete his fourth straight title win.