Daniel Ricciardo Seals Red Bull Drive

Daniel Ricciardo Seals Red Bull Drive

Australian driver Daniel Ricciardo has been confirmed as Sebastian Vettel’s 2014 teammate after being promoted from Red Bull’s junior team Toro Rosso.

Red Bull had been searching for a replacement for Mark Webber who decided to announce his retirement from Formula One earlier this year.

According to BBC Sport, Red Bull chose to promote Ricciardo, who had been part of their young drivers scheme, instead of sign veteran racing driver and former world champion Kimi Raikkonen.

Ricciardo revealed he had hoped he would one day get the chance to race for Red Bull, who have won the constructors championship three times in a row.

“Obviously there's a lot of excitement running through me,” said Ricciardo.

"Since joining F1 in 2011, I hoped this would happen and over time the belief in me has grown."

Red Bull team principle Christian Horner praised the Australian’s natural skill and ability, believing he would fit straight into the team’s set up.

"He's got all the attributes that are required to drive for our team. He's got a great natural ability, he's a good personality and a great guy to work with,” said Horner in a statement.

"Daniel knows what the team expects. He'll learn quickly and it's very much a medium- to long-term view that we're taking in developing him.

"The seat within the team is a wonderful opportunity and I think he's going to be a big star of the future."

BBC Sport believe Ricciardo will be expected to support Sebastian Vettel in 2014 with the German possibly gunning for a fifth straight world championship title, should he regain the title again this year.