Ricky Hatton has this morning announced his return to boxing, three years after his last fight.
The Hitman revealed his plans to officially come out retirement in a press conference this morning, a decision that is likely to be met with a mixed reception from the boxing world. The 33-year-old also gave details of his return fight, scheduled on November 24 in his native Manchester against an unnamed opponent.
"It's more than a comeback,” said the former IBA and IBF light-welterweight and WBA welterweight champion. "I'm fighting to redeem myself.”
The fighter, who holds a record of 45 wins and two losses, will be granted a new license upon completing a medical, after approaching the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBoC) in Cardiff on Wednesday afternoon, the Daily Telegraph report.
"I want British boxing to be proud of me again," added Hatton.
"The only way to convince everyone I'm back is by flattening someone on 24 November."
Hatton announced his official retirement last year, but had not fought since his May 2009 defeat to Manny Pacquiao, where the Mancunian was dominated before being brutally knocked out in the second round of the bout. Things turned from bad to worse for Hatton, who then had his boxing license withdrawn in 2010 after he admitted to using cocaine.
The Hitman has since recovered from those drug and alcohol problems and is determined the claw back the credibility that once saw him recognised as one of Britain’s most formidable fighters.
"It's been well documented what's happened to me since the last time I've been in a boxing ring," Hatton said.
"I've started looking after myself a bit better and getting fitter. That's how it started. I don't want to be fighting at four or six-round levels - I want to fight for world titles.
"It's about more than money, this comeback. People say nice things about me but they don't know what's been going on in between my ears."